Somepling (Olivier Rousseaux), France
Beatmaker, producer (and sometimes graphic designer)
Music and vinyl records fanatic…
Impassioned with music since my very youth, i learned music the traditional way, playing different
instruments (accordion, guitar, drums…). The rest of the story was traditional too, i played drums
for fun in different bands, and i had the frustrating feeling that each time, the same thing
happened. I wanted to control every instruments, like a conductor in orchestras.
Being unable to make it happen in a band, i logically decided to move on and experiment new
things with the help of a computer.
At the end of the 90s, the home computer became the way of creating songs, laboriously sampling from diverse sources (CD, K7, microphone…). “Windat” and a basic recorder in the computer allowed me,
on a cut’n paste basis, to build new tracks, by “stealing” (borrowing) fragments and pieces of sound.
I just understood what sampling was.
At that time, i was feeding my ears eclectically, without style or genre limit.
Of course, Hip-Hop as a whole was influencing me, but more specifically, it was DJ Shadow’s work
that made me want to tell my own stories with music.
Then, in 2002, i bought my first sampler, a Roland SP-303.
Just one year later, i used all my savings to buy a new sampler to replace the previous one,
i bought an Akai MPC2000XL. With this brand new sampler, possibilities seemed to be endless…
and sampling sound quality was great. Since then, i’ve always kept this machine, and i’ve spent all my spare time working on tracks, out of sight and sound…
My music feeds off samples from different sources, and it naturally renews itself.
● “Drinkin’ Love” by Somepling, included in the mix of the week on Bandcamp - Bandcamp Weekly N°7 (May 2013)
● “Mellowbay Keys” was reviewed in French magazine Star Wax / N° 26 (Mars 2013)
● “ThirdCriminal” by Somepling was reviewed on XLR8R (January 2013)
● “Winter Sun” by Somepling was playlisted by DJ Vadim, TJ Kid & DJ Woody on their new year even mix (January 2012)
● Picked “Soundclouder Of The Day” by Soundcloud.com team « We’re starting the week off with Somepling! He’s a master at hip-hop instrumental samples & is our SoundClouder of the Day (24/01/2011) » -Soundcloud.com team
● “Shadow Propaganda Mix” by Somepling was selected by DJ Shadow for “The DJ Shadow Remix Project”
« I liked the Propaganda Mix intro so much, I tweaked it slightly and cut an acetate of it to play during my sets! Nice Job Somepling! » (2010) -DJ Shadow